A big welcome to the summer students working on B3 and aligned projects over the coming months with various B3 partners. We hope this will inspire you to a career in biosecurity.
Two summer students, Anoek Grosmann & Janet Reid, from the University of Auckland have been working with Landcare Research on project #22 ‘Molecular Diagnostics’. Both have been testing newly developed protocols to capture and deliver verifiable sequence data from vouchered specimens. They have worked across several target taxonomic groups (beetles, moths) to fill gaps in the DNA databases of New Zealand taxa.
| Romalee Amolic|
· Host: AgR, Ruakura, with Penny Payne and Helen Percy
· Studying Masters of Data Science at the University of Canterbury
· Project: Social network analysis of the ‘biosecurity tourism landscape’ – where tourism providers get their information from regarding biosecurity.
| Teegan Maxwell|
· Host: PFR, Palmerston North with Alby Marsh and Nick Waipara
· Studying at Massey University in Manawatu for a Bachelor of AgriScience majoring in agriculture.
· Project: Māori-led preparedness plan for the incursion and management of myrtle rust.
| Brittany Pearce|
· Host: PFR, Auckland with Gonzalo Avila & Jacqui Todd
· Completed a BSc in biological sciences at the University of Auckland in 2017, and finished a postgrad certificate in weed and pest management.
· B3 project: using food webs to predict the non-target impacts of biological control agents.
| Genavee Rhodes|
· Host: PFR, Auckland with Sam Brown
· Majoring in biodiversity management for a BAppSc at Unitec Institute of Technology
· Project: Impact of the introduced aphid parasitoids on non-target species
| Lauren Sargent|
· Host: AGR, Lincoln with Ela Sawicka
· Studying at the University of Otago for BSc majoring in genetics
· B3 project: detecting irradiated insects and fruit